Friday 20 May 2016

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb

What an enlightening book.  Often drawn to fiction rather than biography, a delayed flight at Edinburgh airport lead me to pick up this novel rather than the others on the shelf.   I had been staying with my godmother and when she dropped me off she kindly offered to buy me a book to read whilst I waited for my plane back to Bristol.  

I am not sure why this book stood out among the others, whether it was the fact Malala was the same age as me, or the fact she stood up very vocally for things I too felt strongly about, or the intriguing blurb. Whatever it was, I am so glad I picked this book off the shelf, it is one of the most inspiring things I have ever read. Often it can be hard to see how stuff happening on the other side of the world is relevant, this brings home just how important it really is.

Malala Yousafzai is the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate.  Born in Pakistan in 1997 she was shot by the Taliban for standing up for girls in education.  She now lives in Birmingham.  This book tells her story  aswell as giving us the backdrop to her life in Pakistan and the daily battles and difficulties faced. 

One of the things I love about this book is how down to earth Malala is about her fame and the portrayal of her life. She focuses on things that are part of her normal everyday life, things that were changed by the arrival of the Taliban. She describes her love of her country, the love of her friends and family, and most of all her love of school. In the UK, school is more often complained about, than raved about, we often don't realise the value of something until it is taken away. Malala was willing to fight for what is valuable - education for all.

This is a difficult book to blog about accurately - I am aware that its contents aren't trivial, but real issues, of great sensitivity.  These are real situations that many are facing across the globe, girls and boys alike, and they should not be taken lightly, so my advice is to read this book for yourself.

Thank you Aunty Katherine for a great weekend and a wonderful book to take away with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment